Medical Office Building – OBGYN Renovation
The Women’s Group of Ascension Saint Thomas Hospital took advantage of unused space in the MOB near their existing clinic to create much-needed expansion space to meet their practice growth. The renovation provides six new exam rooms, one additional ultrasound room, dedicated lab space, and reception and waiting space ample for the group to expand.
The practice had the opportunity to distinguish themselves from other building tenants and the traditional clinical environment, leaning heavily toward a more commercial or residential aesthetic. TMP encouraged the involvement of the staff to ensure the brand was communicated from the existing space as well as met their desired impression. The staff really focuses effort on creating an inviting first impression, so careful attention was paid to the new waiting and reception area. Bold modern colors and residential furniture, as well as a dedicated counter bar for those with computers, invite patients to make themselves at home to await services. The architecture of the entrance capitalizes on the long bay of windows so that daylight floods the waiting area.
We leveraged the staff involvement to learn from the existing space, understand staff workflow, and uncover opportunities for improvement. The design partnership provided opportunities for the client to share design inspiration from their everyday lives as well as our team to communicate ways to elevate the patient experience. We were grateful to have the client on board even through construction so the design team could efficiently react to changes and streamline project delivery.
Key aspects of the project:
- Residential-style fixtures and materials to further the inviting, modern brand of the practice
- New lab space dedicated to the practice for staff ease and efficiency
- Carefully designed waiting space and additional reception to provide continuity of patient experience into the expanded space; the interior design purposefully connects to the practice space across the hall
Saint Thomas Women’s Group
Hospital – NICU Renovation
Ascension Saint Thomas Hospital asked TMP to design the renovation, expansion, and modernization of an existing neonatal intensive care unit. The design team combined an open “pinwheel” concept with private patient rooms. The “pinwheels” were comprised of four-bed spaces rotated around a center column which supplies all of the necessary plumbing and electrical requirements. The use of the single central column optimizes staff visibility and maintains patient privacy. The new NICU has nearly doubled in size and is now at the technological forefront of neonatal care in the region.
Key aspects of the project:
- Comfortable rubber flooring and textured glass dividers, give the impression of an inviting hospitality environment than an institutional hospital.
- Natural light sources that can be controlled using mechanically controlled window shades. Egress lighting is provided by nightlights integrated into the wall gives a soft, essential light wash below the sightlines of the bassinets.
- A Parents’ Suite for overnight accommodations, including private toilet and shower facilities, assists new parents in transitioning their newborn from the NICU to their own home.
Emergency Department Renovations
As patient needs adjust and change, the Emergency Department is often the front line for meeting changing community need. Ascension Saint Thomas saw a need to revitalize the Emergency Department and approached TMP for design guidance on creating a new first impression for visitors. The entire department received updates to finishes, offering visitors a modern, clean service experience. The facility also saw a decline in the use of the fast-track ED bays. By taking advantage of the underutilized space, the design created a new waiting space for patients that better fits how the staff uses the space on a daily basis.
Medxcel Facilities Management