Emory Johns Creek challenged TMP to design a hospital with a “five-star hotel” experience with the ability to deliver efficient and advanced medical care. TMP designed the original facility to respond appropriately to the site context while accommodating the possibility of future expansion of the medical campus. The largest recent expansion included a Vertical Expansion that added two floors of patient care spaces to the facility, continuing the hospitality feel to elevate the visitor experience.
Key aspects of the expansion projects:
- The Vertical Expansion features a cantilevered floor plate that expands the available space for staff workstations and provides an exterior modern statement to elevate the facility facade
- Special attention was paid to the nurse stations to improve staff workflows and provide ample equipment space.
- Design charrettes and room mockups with surgery staff resulted in new expanded Operating Rooms with adjacent doctors lounge
Key aspects of the original facility include:
- A freestanding colonnade, which creates a grand processional entrance and provides exterior circulation between the hospital and medical office building.
- The hospital lobby features a three-story atrium and large glass openings, filling the space with natural light. It functions as a place for gathering and respite for visitors and staff. A concierge desk replaces the information desk.
- The lobbies of the medical office building and hospital are connected to create a consolidated, expansive circulation space, providing a seamless transition between the two facilities for both patients and physicians.
- The design recognizes the need for sustainable growth solutions, as steps were taken to ensure the building harmonizes with the surrounding natural topography, delicate wetlands and wooded hillsides.
Key aspects of the renovations include:
Johns Creek, GA